Sunday, March 17, 2013

International Quilt Day

(He is green, so you can't pinch me)!

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Saturday, was International Quilt Day! What did you do? Well I had a day of enjoyment!

I started the quilt "Cascarone", pictured below, which is on my list for a new March start for , 2013 NewFO Challenge.

For the beginners out there: when you look at this page, you are looking at 4 templates; (2) for a small triangle block and (2) for the larger. First draw out your larger, then the smaller. Write down fold line and other important information so in 6 months or 6 years you can us them again.

Using your cheap plastic mat, tape the page with the template facing the mat, and hold it to a sunny window. I find a permanent marker works best to trace the lines for the template you need on the page. After your done marking it let it dry for 5 minutes. Or, you might experience smug...and then redo! I use my heavy duty kitchen scissors to cut them out but any full size scissors you don't cut fabric with will do the job!

Storage of Templates: put them in a clear Zip Lock (I buy a cheap off brand and keep them just for this reason). In permanent marker write, magazine, name of pattern, issue and year, on the bag. Now some people hate what I going to tell you next! Rip the article and pattern out of the magazine fold it in half and put it in the bag all together.

I don't know what you do with your old magazines but I give mine to the local senior citizens center! They don't care that I took a pattern out of my $6.99 magazine! They are happy to get to look at it and maybe find one for themselves.

If I am going to remove more than 5 or 6 I just keep the magazine or throw it away. (I don't make templates until I am going to use them). Sometimes if there is just one I will rip it out and put it in my project book and pass the magazine on.

I think I am going to mix triangles in with the Lorax Quilt! Today I made (4) large triangles and (4) more Lorax blocks (Until I ran out of the fabric I order it last week, which will be in Monday)! So, I am slowly chugging away!

I hope you all had a fun International Quilt Day! I did have fun even when I cleaned the chicken coop, no one escaped! Yippee! Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Thanks for stopping by "In The Boon Docks"! Create and be unique, Lisa

2 comments:

  1. im desperate to start this one, im going to prob make the small size but have to finish some others first :o(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good tutorial for making and storing templates, Lisa. I enjoyed the day by piecing backings for two quilts and organizing my fabrics. Lets celebrate every day!

    ReplyDelete

I love a two way conversation! Comments are appreciated!