Joyce's way of freezing Squash
Every year my father-in-law grows lots of straight neck squash enough for both households! He is just great like that, then he sends it over in 5 gallon buckets. My mother and I, then freezes it and we eat it all year long. Since we did 3 pots full today and someone asked about how she does it so it doesn't thaw out mushy. I am including Momma's directions.
1. Wash all dirt off squash.
2. Cut into chunks ( not real little).
3. Add sliced up onion.
(2 onions per big bowl)
4. Mix up really well in a big bowl.
5. Fill large pot with squash and water
(Make sure there is enough water to cover squash)
6. Set it on the stove and bring to a boil.
7. As soon as it starts boiling - time it 3 minutes!
8. Take it off stove and dump contents in large colander!
9. Run cold water over it for 5 minutes or until squash is cold
(Another way is after colander has drained hot water from squash use a cold water bath)
10. After about 10 minutes using a drainer spoon and a measuring cup - pack roughly 3 cups into each quart freezer bag.
11. Seal bags and suck the air out with pump! Put in freezer
We use these bags after years of successful freezing with them!
Ziploc Vacuum Freezer System
I get nothing from Ziploc to tell you they are the best!
I got this little top finished!
Have you seen the Tula Pink Ribbons yet?
Oh, I love these!
Thank you for following and stopping by!
Until next time, create and be unique, Lisa