Mini Half Hexi block

Jenny Doan of Missouri Quilt Company and Lisa Hirsch of the Kansas City Modern Quilt Guild have a new video out Tutorial-082 Half Hexi Applique using a half Hexi template to make a Hexi Gem Quilt. After watching it I thought "Wow" what a great idea Lisa Hirsch has come up with! But I don't have time right now for a full size quilt I have two mini quilt due in the next week. "Wow" I really love that Star in the middle I have to shrink it! So I have. (Hopefully not to many Wows but it did excite me into motion)!

Create a smaller template

I used a hexagon ruler I have that makes all different size hexagons and made a 3 1/2 cardboard templete. Then cut it it half! I now have a template for the mini half gem.

Background Fabric for one block Cut (4) - 6 1/2 square blocks

Mini half hexi need - 8 with iron on backing (Heat N' Bond Lite - Iron on adhesive)

Cut 2 - 3" strips off a fat quarter (I do my strips a little bigger because I hate to get the glue on my ironing board). I also like to fussy cut!

Cut 2 strips of 2 1/2 iron on adhesive

Center the adhesive as close to the edge without going over and iron it to your strips

Then the fun part start cutting the little half hexigons. 8 for each block. I was fussy cutting mine out for my #trickortreatminiquilt. Spiders and skulls flowers, or gems with a cool star in the middle!

 

At this point I point you to the Missouri Star Company Tutorial Hexi Gems Applique Quilt | Always Great, Always Free Quilting Tutorials for making the block because it is just the same and I have a few more blocks to make and applique! Thank you Jenny Doan, Lisa Hirsch, and the Missouri Star Quilt Co. - Best Selection of Pre-Cut Quilting Fabrics on the Web! for inspiring me and a great tutorial!

It is National Sewing Month - Go Sew Something - Lisa

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Get Acquainted New Blogger Blog Hop & Giveaway

April Showers Blog Hop

Aurifil Thread Giveaway - Black and White